Full-stack application example
Check out my other repositories:
- Domain-Driven Hexagon – Guide on Domain-Driven Design, software architecture, design patterns, best practices etc.
- Backend best practices – Best practices, tools and guidelines for backend development.
This is an example of a simple full-stack application that integrates with external API.
The application is a simple web app for searching movies. You can also add new movies that will be saved to a database and indexed in an external search engine.
This can be a good example for people who are trying to learn how to structure a full-stack application of a low-medium complexity.
Code examples cover things like testing, documentation, integration with external APIs, working with a database, configs and environmental variables, easy application setup, project folder/file structure etc.
Note: this repo is a work in progress, frontend is a bit messy and unfinished. Backend is mostly finished. Keep in mind that this is just an example app and it is not perfect.
- NodeJS backend with NestJS framework
- MongoDB database with mongoose package
- React frontend, SASS/SCSS for styles
- Algolia search engine as external indexing API
- OpenAPI/Swagger for documentation
- nx monorepo
Running the application
Note: You must have docker installed and running before continuing.
npm run setup– setups the application (installs dependencies, docker images, creates .env files).
Sign up in Algolia Developer hub https://www.algolia.com/developers/ and set your Algolia API keys in
npm run docker:env– run docker environment (starts mongodb)
npm run seed:dev– seed database and index with some dummy data (docker environment must be running and api keys must be set in
npm run start:dev– starts api and client
Client web application will be available at http://localhost:4200
API endpoints will be available at http://localhost:3333/api/v1/movies
- http://localhost:3333/docs/ – open in browser to see api documentation (api must be running)
npm run test:api– run tests for api (docker environment must be running)
npm run test:client– run tests for client
npm run dep-graph– see dependency graph
Pending to do (mostly frontend):
- Confirm dialog on movie deletion
- Optimistic updates when a movie is created
- Add query to URL when searching
- Add tests to frontend (unit and cypress)
- Polish UI/UX, refactor messy code, fix minor bugs
Feel free to contribute and improve code if you like.