Succinct – generate summaries for Youtube videos
Succinct is a fully responsive, progressive web app built with React, TypeScript & Google Cloud Functions. It allows you to quickly summarize the content of a Youtube video and learn about the topics & ideas discussed inside the text. It also allows you to choose your desired length of summary based on the total number of sentences in the video’s transcript.
gcloud_function folder holds the Python script that accepts a POST request consisting of the Youtube video URL and a percentage value representing the desired length of summary. It returns a JSON string that includes the summary, transcript and topics pertaining to the video. This script is hosted on a Google Cloud Function and extensively uses MeaningCloud’s various APIs
How to run locally
- Clone this repository
- Sign up for a MeaningCloud account to obtain your license key and add it to line 6 of
- Set up a Google Cloud Function using the files in
gcloud_function/folder. Authentication is not required but you can add it if you prefer.
npm installin the home directory (same directory as this
README.mdfile) to install the required libraries.
npm startto start the app locally on
We hope this application will be as useful to you as it has been to us. If you encounter any bugs, issues, have feature requests or general feedback, please feel free to leave a ticket in the issues section of this repository!
- ReactJS – build good-looking, interactive UIs
- Material UI – extensive component library for React
- Google Cloud Functions – host scripts on the cloud that can be called from anywhere
- MeaningCloud APIs – for text summarization, topic extraction and text classification using their machine learning models
- Youtube Transcript API – Python API which allows you to get the transcripts/subtitles for a given YouTube video
- Favicon & Logos from Flaticon – free, high definition icons and images
- Samsung Sans Font – beautiful fonts at your disposal