More than just a URL Shortener ? Explore the docs »
? About The Project
Pckd is a full-customizable, open source, free-to-use, usable-design-focued, tracking-intensive URL Shortener with awesome features, and supports:
Creating short urls (we call them ?
pckds) from long ones with, or without an account
Customize back-halfs on every ? pckd
Deploy to custom ? URL and Infrastructure ?
Track ?️♂️ each and every click on a ? pckd, and retrieve
- ? IP address (Spoof-resistant)
- ?️ ISP Name
- ?️ IP-Location
- ? Device details like OS Version and Device Model
- ? Browser Name and including version
It’s Just crazy how powerful it is! ?
Edit links after they’re created
Custom Loading/Redirecting Screen ?
[On Roadmap!] Quick Redirections in 150ms! ?
Fast, Reliable and Secure ?
Secret Storage ? and handling using ? environment variables
Built on Modern and Well-used Technologies like React, GraphQL & NodeJS
Use your own DBMS ?. Pckd is compatible with MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB and many more
This project was created to be the most powerful URL shortener for the public, so no wonder it’s so feature-rich
Here is a sneak peek of the application and it’s visuals ?:
Want to create your own iteration? View the designs on Figma
After looking at all the
aka.ms links out there which flood windows, along with the numerous time saving been prompted to buy premium plans from
? Built With (Tech Stack)
The following technologies were involved in the making of this project.
- React JS ⚛️ – For the frontend of the app
- Apollo GraphQL Server v3 ?️ – For querying the backend from the frontend efficiently
- GraphQL Template By Mohit ? – Boilerplate Template used for initializing the backend
- Prisma ? – The ORM used for the app
- Any ? relational or non-relational database that Prisma supports
- Redux ?️ w/ Redux Toolkit – For handling states across the application
? Quick Start Guide
To get started with having your own instance of Pckd, follow the steps described in the following section
NOTE: Here are the DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
You will need these to be already installed:
And that’s it
Follow these steps to get started with your own instance of Pckd
- Clone the repo and
cdto the folder base of this repo
- Run command
npm run initto install all the dependencies, and initialize environment files in both folders
- Obtain a free API key from IP Registry (for IP address tracking info lookups)
- Create a database named pckd in your chosen DBMS and note down the connection Username and Password
- Manually go to both the
serverfolder and fill in the values in the
- Open the
server/prisma/schema.prismafile and replace
postgresqlwith your chosen db name.
- Return to base directory, and run
npm run db-initto sync database with schema.
- To test if everything’s working, run
npm run devand test the app
- To promote to production, run
npm run build-clientand then
If you have any problems following the steps, here are the detailed instructions
This project is far from perfect, and we’ll reach there one day, or at least get close.
- Add forgotten password-reset capabilities (issue #3)
- Adding extra features such as enabling or disabling tracking on certain links (Issue #2)
- Quick redirects using ExpressJS directly from the backend, without loading react and Redux (planned ~150ms)
- Adding docker-compose supported quick installation
- Hit not registered if IP not provided
See the open issues for a full list of proposed features (and known issues).
? How it works
Here’s a diagram explaining exactly how everything fits into place
Contributions are what make the open source community such an amazing place to learn, inspire, and create. Any contributions you make are greatly appreciated.
If you have a suggestion that would make this better, please fork the repo and create a pull request. You can also simply open an issue with the tag “enhancement”. Don’t forget to give the project a star! Thanks again!
- Fork the Project
- Create your Feature Branch (
git checkout -b feature/AmazingFeature)
- Commit your Changes (
git commit -m 'Add some AmazingFeature')
- Push to the Branch (
git push origin feature/AmazingFeature)
- Open a Pull Request
? Reach Out
If you Have any questions
So I can keep on going
Distributed under the MIT License. See
LICENSE.md for more information.
- Parth Jadhav for ideas and support
- Respective Google Font Creators
- AR Shakir – Inspiration for dashboard UI design
Just one last thing, if you have reached this far, why not consider giving a star to the repo like many incredible people already have. This keeps us going, and we love to see that people like our projects, and motivates us to make more of these. With that, thank you loads ??