A decentralized and federated way of annotating the web based on Matrix.
Watch a quick demo video, or read the introductory post.
If you’re on Matrix, come chat with us at
- Current: Create and send website annotations over Matrix.
- Current: Store data in a decentralized and federated manner.
- Current: Share highlights with other users, including those on other servers.
- Current: Group annotations together and create multiple annotation groups
- Planned: Use Matrix’s End-to-End encryption to ensure the secure transmission and storage of highlight data.
- Planned: Leverage the new
m.threadMSC to allow users to comment on and discuss
- Planned: Use something like ArchiveBox to cache the current version of a website and prevent annotations from breaking.
- Planned Highlight PDFs in addition to web pages.
Also check out Populus, which is a tool in similar spirit, but with a focus on annotating files.
The project is a handful of React applications written in TypeScript. It’s sufficient to run:
yarn install yarn webpack
An (unpacked) extension will be available in
dist/. Then, you can follow the [Google guide] to
install the unpacked extension in Chrome or Chromium.